After the success of my Gluten Free Mini Blueberry Pies (and my Star Baker award!!), I have been feeling motivated and excited about the prospect of baking. I have even been trying to figure out if it’s possible to create MY OWN recipes! This week’s challenge was one of three types of dessert:
- Tray bakes- basically, almost anything baked on a tray. Or not baked. It can be something that is chilled in the fridge as well. I like the idea of this kind of flexibility! This may be a good thing!
- Tuiles- ridiculously thin and naturally gluten-free tuiles. I think I need to bake for a few more years before attempting this. And I also do not have a “tuile stencil” so there’s no way I can make these.
- Biscuit Towers- I like biscuits. I like towers. The Eiffel Tower is my favourite. I think this may be beyond my means however.
Tray bakes it is! Today I was meant to be in London to meet up with other travel bloggers. Due to challenging childcare situations and lack of funds, I am unable to be there, luxuriating in a posh London hotel near Buckingham Palace so I decided to whip up a batch of brownies to make me feel better. After researching, shopping and steeling my nerves, I managed to create a delightful tray bake of which I am extremely proud. Are you ready to see it?
Oh yeah! Pimp my Brownie is what I made today. In this gorgeous, gluten-free tray of goodness is a lovely, fudgy brownie mixture along with Cadbury Caramel squares and pretty little mini pink and white marshmallows. Boom! Better still, I managed to make my own recipe, based on general quantities from other brownie recipes. Ready, steady, BAKE!
- 200g plain chocolate
- 200g butter
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 300g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 120g Brown Rice Flour
- 30g Cocoa Powder (ensure Gluten-Free)
- 15g Ground Almonds
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 large bar of Cadbury Caramel, broken into individual squares
- 1/2 bag of Mini Marshmallows
- 100g bag of milk chocolate chunks
- Place chocolate, butter and vanilla essence in a heat proof bowl over simmering water. Allow ingredients to melt and remove from the heat when melted.
- While the chocolate is melting, whisk eggs and caster sugar until it is frothy and thick.
- When the chocolate mixture has cooled, add egg and sugar mixture and combine thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, sift remaining dry ingredients and fold into the combined chocolate mixture until incorporated.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper to cover bottom and sides.
- Pour half of the brownie mixture into the tray. Add Cadbury Caramel squares and marshmallows.
- Pour over remaining brownie mixture and sprinkle milk chocolate chunks over the top.
- Place in oven (160 degrees C) for 40 minutes, checking for doneness from 30 minutes.
Boom! Told you so! How scrummy did these turn out? These gluten-free delights are really fudgy and very rich so you probably won’t need more than one square. In one sitting! Now, I did come up with this recipe on my own but there are some similarities to a recipe of a brilliant baker/blogger/friend called Becky at English Mum. So if you are looking for a non-gluten-free recipe, this would be your best bet!
In the meantime, have another look at these squidgy “Pimp My Brownie” gluten-free brownies and get yourself to the nearest supermarket to pick up your brownie ingredients. Before you go, check out both Mummy Mishaps and The Crazy Kitchen for more tray bake, tuile and biscuit (tower) creations from the rest of the Great Bloggers Bake Off.